Thursday, March 21, 2013

BLOG 8 - ENCOUNTER


BLOG 8: ENCOUTER WITH MOLDED STRAWBERRIES


I was never really was a big fan of eating strawberries, I always stayed far away from them. I never tasted strawberries to even dislike them but it was something about them that made me not want even give it a taste trial. I fell in love with them one day when I was hungry and I ate without one ounce of hesitation and history took its place from there. But, the most stomach gnawing feeling came upon me when i went into the fridge and saw that the strawberries grew mold! Ewwwwwwww! I was so disgusted I didn't even bothered to eat the others that had no mold. I took it out of the fridge and analyzed it more carefully as i expressed a very disgusted look on my face. It had white or grayish projections pointing out and it made my skin crawl. I then threw it away and retrieve to do research as to why strawberries get mold and what exactly is it that causes the mold.


Why do strawberries get mold?

- moisture is the main cause of mold on strawberries


How do strawberries get mold?

- An excess of moisture causes botrytis fruit rot, also known as gray mold

- The gray mold affects the petals, flower stems, fruit caps and fruit of strawberry plants

- Gray mold is a result of the botrytis cinerea fungus

No comments:

Post a Comment